Knob and tube wiring – why should I remove it?
This is the first type of household wiring that was installed from about 1880s to the 1930s.
There is no ground conductor in it. There are two wires per circuit. First very important point: IF you have it, you do not have to remove old knob and tube wiring as long as:
Reasons why to replace it with a latest solution:
- It is old and consequently fragile but Knob & Tube wiring is safe, provided it is properly maintained For a long time they did not used wire connectors and metal boxes to splice the wires together, instead they soldered them – I have to admit they did a pretty good job. But time and rodents take a tool on it.
IF you want to use three prong receptacle on your Knob and Tube wiring there are two ways; add up bonding conductor or install GFCI receptacle. I also have to mention at this point that your surge protection bar for your electronic devices like computer, entertainment equipment will not work, because it needs ground as a reference. GFCI does not provide it.
- It is much hotter than modern circuit, it is not possible to put insulation in wall with them. You can’t insulate your outside walls or attic floor when you do there is a serious fire hazard in your household
- The wires are overloaded. New houses have average amount of circuit from 18 to 48. In times when the knob and tube was put in no one envisioned the number of electrical devices you would be putting in them
- The existing insulation on the wires will inevitably decay and cause a short circuit
- Any disturbance of the wiring such as replacing a light or receptacle – is itself a fire hazard
- Light or receptacles are often wired backwards due to lack of color code on wiring
- It has serious and great shock hazard than new wiring (a lot of people were shocked painfully
with such a wiring)
- Most of insurance companies will not cover or will even cancel your homeowners insurance.
- It decreases a value of your house, often people refuse to buy one with such wiring.
- You might be putting undue stress to a lot of electronic devices – most of them require or are
designed to rely on a ground wire to operate properly (i.e. PCs)
- Most important – Safety of your family is putted into danger and it is a risk for your kids.
What can I do?
Contact us we are specialists in such works. Sometimes the installation seems to be hard to put in but due to our 40 years experience in electric works in Canada.
We know what we do.You will be sleeping well and safety knowing that your household wiring is not a danger anymore for your family and your kids are safe when using devices at home.
© 2013 Sigma Electric. All Rights Reserved | 1269 Canterbury Rd, Mississauga, ON | (416) 877-0372